4th of July
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is professional displays. More than 50 percent of sparkler-related injuries happen to kids under age 14 across the country. Sparklers can reach 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit and have the potential to cause significant burn injuries. Sparklers can quickly ignite clothing and can cause grass fires if thrown on the ground. Always keep a bucket of water close by to dispose of used sparklers promptly.
Here are important safety tips to protect lives and property while enjoying the Fourth of July.
- Purchase fireworks from an authorized retailer and follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- Have an adult supervise fireworks activities, including sparklers.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then immediately back away to a safe distance.
- Keep people and pets out of range before lighting fireworks.
- Light fireworks outdoors on a driveway or other paved surface at least 25 feet away from houses and highly flammable materials such as dry grass or mulch.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- Douse spent fireworks in a bucket of water before discarding them.
- Allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse.
- Try to re-light “duds” or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully. (Rather, wait 15 to 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.)
- Point or throw fireworks at other people.
- Carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
- Buy fireworks packaged in brown paper or use unlabeled fireworks, they are for professional use.
- Never experiment with or make your own fireworks.